We often picture the iconic Riyadh skyline when we hear Saudi Arabia but the views of the Red Sea from the coastal city of Jeddah are just as breathtaking. Jeddah is the second-largest city in Saudi Arabia and home to a diverse population of 3,400,000 and has been a major port and trading centre for centuries. For this reason, it is a bustling cosmopolitan city with endless amounts of things to see and do.
What is Jeddah like?
A major commercial centre, Jeddah is known for shopping districts, restaurants, cafes and beautiful surroundings.
The population is large and diverse, owing to the city's history as a trading port.
Things to do in Jeddah
Visit the old town of Al-Balad
Jeddah is famous for the multi-storey houses built from coral that you will find in the old town. The houses are now crumbling and the city will no longer exists, but the ancient gates remain. Here you can wander in the old town and visit the many souks.
Here, you can also get amazing views of the city from the top of Naseef House, which is now a museum and cultural centre. It was once owned by one of Jeddah's main trading families.
Enjoy the views of the spectacular Jeddah Corniche
From the Corniche, you will experience beautiful views of the Red Sea. Here, you will find shopping streets and very good quality gold. Don't forget to visit the King Fahd Fountain - the tallest water fountain in the world!
Jeddah is a popular location for scuba diving enthusiasts. You'll find many expats in Jeddah purely because of the scuba diving scene. Here, you can enjoy the flora and fauna of the region without the same amount of tourists that you may find in more popular destinations such as Egypt or the Sinai Peninsula. However, now that Saudi Arabia offers tourist visas, it remains to be seen if this will change.
Jeddah is home to several theme parks. Whatever your taste, you'll find something to suit you. Check out the water park at Sail Island, the Atallah Happy Land Park for indoor and outdoor attractions or the Al-Shalal Theme Park for the largest double-loop rollercoaster on the Asian Continent.
You'll find no shortage of places to spend your tax-free salary in Jeddah. There is a huge list of malls, most notably the Mall of Arabia, which claims to be the biggest in Saudi Arabia. If big malls are your thing, you'll also want to check out Hera's Mall and the Red Sea Mall.
You'll find lots of stores that you recognise including Nike, Victoria's Secret, Sephora, Starbucks and many more. The Star's Avenue Mall even houses a Saks Fifth Avenue.
Great news for your taste buds but bad news for your waistline! Jeddah is home to an endless list of delicious eateries from casual restaurants and cafes like Pizza Express and Cheesecake Factory to high-end fine dining. You will find almost every cuisine imaginable - there really is something for everyone, no matter your tastes or your budget.
It's not all play, of course! You'll fund this amazing lifestyle by earning a tax-free salary at one of the leading tertiary referral centres in the region. Click here for more information on the hospital itself and see the list of vacancies below. Don't miss out - apply today
- SAUDI ARABIA Education Coordinator - Jeddah
- SAUDI ARABIA Nursing Research Senior Specialist - Jeddah
- SAUDI ARABIA Head Nurse of Protocol Unit - Jeddah
- SAUDI ARABIA Head Nurse - Operating Room - Jeddah. Visas for male and female applicants
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Surgical Intensive Care Unit - Jeddah, open for female applicant only
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Paediatrics ICU - Jeddah
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Medical Surgical Intensive Care Unit - Jeddah,Posts for female applicant only
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Cardiac Surgical Intensive Care Unit - Jeddah, Visa for Males and Females
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Cardiovascular Telemetry - Jeddah,Visas for male and female applicants
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Oncology Treatment Area/Chemo infusion suite - Jeddah open to female applicants
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Labour and Delivery - Jeddah open to female applicants
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - VIP Unit Jeddah, Visas for female applicants only
- SAUDI ARABIA Registered Nurse - Endoscopy Department - Jeddah open to female applicants